Maritime Cadetships for Women
Australia Awards PNG, in partnership with shipping companies Pacific Towing, Steamships, Consort Shipping and Swire Shipping, offers scholarships for two types of maritime cadetships for Papua New Guinean women: Deck (Watch Deck) and Engine (Engine Room).
These cadetships include a combination of study at the PNG Maritime College in Madang and seafaring experience to enable professional maritime qualifications.
The cadet programs are designed to produce Officers of the Watch (Deck or Engine), also known as Mate 3 for deck and Engineer 3 for engine.
This qualification enables employment on international vessels as well as on vessels for near coastal work in PNG.
- meet PNG Maritime College entry conditions
- be a female citizen of Papua New Guinea and be residing in PNG at the time of application (please note that the scholarship is not open to men)
- have completed Grade 12 or matriculation upgrade (FODE/DODL) with a minimum grade B in Advanced Math and Literature (English), and grade C in Physics and Chemistry.
- not have been convicted of a criminal offence
- not have been terminated from a previous Australia Awards scholarship for misconduct
- be able to swim 100 metres fully clothed (if selected, you will undertake a swimming test)
- meet fitness and health requirements
- demonstrate your commitment to a career in PNG’s maritime industry.
- be able to distinguish colour (not colour blind).
NOTE: CTCS (UPNG open college) is not regarded as matriculation upgrade by the PNG Maritime College.