Become a Seafarer: Maritime Cadetship
Scholarships include cadetship study as either Officer of the Watch Deck or Officer of the Engine Room. The scholarship is for approximately three years. The scholarship is for study in PNG only (not Australia) but it includes sponsored international work experience at sea.
The Scholarship is open to Non-School Leavers who completed Grade 12 prior to 2019.
You must meet the following requirements to be considered for a scholarship:
- meet the PNG Maritime College entry conditions
- be a female citizen of Papua New Guinea and be residing in PNG at the time of application (please note that the scholarship is not open to men)
- have completed Grade 12 or matriculation upgrade (FODE/CODE) with a minimum Grade B in Mathematics (A) and English (Literature), and Grade C in Physics and Chemistry
- not have been convicted of a criminal offence
- not have been terminated from a previous Australia Awards scholarship for misconduct
- be able to swim 100 metres fully clothed (if selected, you will undertake a swimming test)
- be able to distinguish colour (not colour blind)
- demonstrate your commitment to a career in Papua New Guinea’s maritime industry
NOTE: CTCS (UPNG open college) is not regarded as matriculation upgrade by Australia Awards
If shortlisted you must:
- Pass a medical fitness examination from a National Maritime Safety Authority (NMSA) appointed doctor
- Be required to swim 100 metres fully clothed.
For Study in 2020, the Australian Government and our private partner consortium (Steamships, Pacific Towing and China Navigation) will offer scholarships for women to undertake a maritime cadetship at the PNG Maritime College (Madang). There are two different types of Cadet courses on offer:
- Officer of the Watch Deck
- Officer of the Engine Room
2020 Applications are Now Open!
Application Close: 5pm Friday, 16th August 2019