Maritime Cadetships for Women
Applications for study in 2022 are now closed
Due to the high number of applications, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. If you are not contacted by 31 July 2021, it means you were not eligible or were not shortlisted.
Applications for study in 2023 will open mid-2022.
Australia Awards PNG, in partnership with shipping companies
Pacific Towing, Steamships, Consort Shipping and China
Navigation is offering scholarships for two types of maritime
cadetships for Papua New Guinean women commencing in
2022: Deck (Watch Deck) and Engine (Engine Room).
These cadetships include a four-year combination of scholarship
study at the PNG Maritime College in Madang and seafaring
experience to enable professional maritime qualifications.
Deck and Engine cadetships have two grades of qualifications:
- Certificate of Competency Class 4 (Deck or Engine). This
qualification enables employment on near-coast vessels
that sail around Papua New Guinea.
- Officer of the Watch (Deck or Engine). This qualification
enables employment on international vessels that sail
- meet PNG Maritime College entry conditions
- be a female citizen of Papua New Guinea and be residing in PNG at the time of application (please note that the scholarship is not open to men)
- have completed Grade 12 or matriculation upgrade (FODE/DODL) with a minimum grade B in Advanced Math and Literature (English), and grade C in Physics and Chemistry.
- not have been convicted of a criminal offence
- not have been terminated from a previous Australia Awards scholarship for misconduct
- be able to swim 100 metres fully clothed (if selected, you will undertake a swimming test)
- meet fitness and health requirements
- demonstrate your commitment to a career in PNG’s maritime industry.
- be able to distinguish colour (not colour blind).
NOTE: CTCS (UPNG open college) is not regarded as matriculation upgrade by the PNG Maritime College.
People with disability who meet the scholarship eligibility criteria are strongly encouraged to apply. Successful applicants may be able to access additional support to enhance their study experience. Scholarship applicants are encouraged to share information about their disability in their application. Click here to read more
The Australian Government takes a zero-tolerance approach to fraud. All application documents will be verified and if found fraudulent applicants will be excluded for consideration for this scholarship and any future Australia Awards. If application fraud is detected after a scholarship is awarded, the scholarship will be immediately terminated