Australia Awards In-PNG Scholarships Maritime Cadetship – Applications Closed
Maritime scholarships for women will contribute to addressing the skills shortage in Papua New Guinea’s transport industry and contribute to cultural change in the maritime sector.
For Study in 2019, the Australian Government and our private partner consortium (Steamships, Pacific Towing and China Navigation), will offer scholarships for women to undertake a maritime cadetship at the PNG Maritime College (Madang). There are two different types of Cadet courses on offer:
- Officer in Charge of the Engineering Watch
- Officer in Charge of the Navigation Watch
The scholarship is for study in PNG only (not Australia)
Scholarships include cadetship study as either Officer of the Watch Deck or Officer of the Engine Room. The scholarship is approximately three years and includes sponsored international work experience at sea.
The Scholarship is open to both School Leavers grade 12 students who complete their study in 2018 and Non-School Leavers. All applicants will be chosen through the same selection process.
NOTE: School leavers will be provisionally selected subject to their final grade 12 results.
To be eligible you must:
- meet the PNG Maritime College conditions of entry
- be a female citizen of Papua New Guinea and be residing in PNG at the time of application (please note that the scholarship is not open to men)
- have completed Grade 12 or matriculation upgrade (FODE/CODE) with a minimum Grade B in Mathematics (A) and English (Literature), and Grade C in Physics and Chemistry
- not have been convicted of a criminal offence
- not have been terminated from a previous Australia Awards scholarship for misconduct
- be able to swim 100 metres fully clothed (if selected, you will undertake a swimming test)
- be able to distinguish colour (not colour blind)
- demonstrate your commitment to a career in Papua New Guinea’s maritime industry.
If shortlisted you must:
- Pass a medical fitness examination from a National Maritime Safety Authority (NMSA) appointed doctor
- Be required to swim 100 meters fully clothed.
Required Supporting Documents:
- One recent passport size ID photo with full name and signature at the back of the photo (scanned/electronic copy is fine)
- The following documents certified by a Commissioner of Oath who is a lawyer with stamp copy:
- Certified copy of your Grade 12 Higher School Certificate
- Certified copy of your most recent academic certificate (FODE/ CODE studies after Grade 12) (If applicable)
- Certified copy of your most recent academic transcript.
All documents will be verified with the Government of PNG. Discovery of fraudulent documents will exclude you from consideration for this scholarship and any future Australian Scholarships. If fraud is discovered after a Scholarship is awarded, then the Scholarship will be immediately terminated.
If you are offered a scholarship, you will be required to meet the following requirements for the scholarship to be awarded:
- Sign a contract with the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) and be bound by the scholarship conditions
- If required to do so, live on-campus unaccompanied (your family must remain in your Province/District of Residence).
- Meet all other conditions of the scholarship award.
For more information
Contact your PNG Maritime College directly for information about courses.
|PNG Maritime College (Madang)||Mr Jimmy Mairanjim, Registrar||422 2615 or 422 email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Or contact the Australia Awards In-PNG Scholarships team:
T: 3211 766 or 7373 3800
M: 7014 1974
Or visit The Australia Awards office address in Port Moresby. Ground Floor, Port Tower, Hunter Street Port Moresby, National Capital District
Scholarship Benefits and Requirements: Click here for more information about the scholarship’s benefits and requirements